In your Music School, studio or business, you can actually upsell products like they do in the world famous hamburger franchises McDonald’s. What is an “Upsell”? Upselling is when you provide your customers with an additional or higher quality product or service for an additional cost.
This way, you can earn additional income while giving your students a more convenient “one stop shop” for all their musical learning needs. Below is a list of products that you can upsell as a music teacher.
Products That You Can Upsell as A Music Teacher
- Music Books by Instrument
- This is a standard product to supply. Most music students will need / want to have these. This would probably be the first product you want to start selling.
- Violin & Guitar Strings
- This is also one of the supplies that most frequently needs to be replaced especially when the strings get broken.
- Saxophone & Clarinet Reeds
- Reed mouthpieces are also small items that need replacing that you can sell if you are teaching woodwind instruments.
- Preschool Books
- If you are also teaching the young ones, it’s nice to have one or more of these.
- Finger Puppets
- Like preschool books, finger puppets help you teach nursery or kindergarten music in the form of play.
- Digital Books & Audio
- These days, although cds and dvds are still available, a more convenient form is audio and pdf files through instant downloads. So, this is one option you can also choose to sell.
- Musical Instruments
- Musical instruments normally cost more than the the products above, but one way you can sell these without having to carry stock is to be an agent or sub-agent of a store which sells these. This will allow you to receive a commission for each item they sell, without having the stock costs.
- Music Equipment
- Including headphones, adaptors, stands, tuners, etc.
To begin with, you may wish to purchase a limited range of products for your inventory. Alternatively, you can buy bulk for bigger discounts right away if you have the budget. Drop Shipping allows you to start your shop without having to shell out capital. It allows you to ship directly from manufacturer to your customers without going through distributors or holding stock. You may wish to look into portals such as Aliexpress.
Marketing Your Products
- You may verbally mention to your students you that you have various items for sale. For instance saying “hey if you need more strings I have one here for just x dollars”
- You can also give them a list of your products through the form of a handout, flyer, or brochure.
- If you have a website, then having an online shop connected to a trusted payment gateway makes it simple for everyone!
If you feel the need for assistance particularly in this subject matter, let me personally mentor you in my coaching sessions so that you avoid the trial and error cycle that usually occurs in startup music teaching businesses or if you do feel you want to grow your business at a higher success rate.
Start by booking a FREE session with Wendy to discuss your specific goals and needs.
If you are keen to receive more free resources and help you can also subscribe to my newsletter / updates . You will receive there updates about the Music School Success TV (MSSTV), helpful blogs, promos, and discounts.
Download Wendy’s free e-book the MSS Ladder– the go-to system to get a glimpse of how far you can grow your music school.